Exim Policy For Handicrafts and EPCH
All manufacturers of handicrafts are exempt from obtaining an industrial license to manufacture. There are no restrictions regarding the location of the manufacturing unit Characteristics of Indian hand crafted items for exports:
- They are quota free and neutral to fiber content or composition, barring 100% silk.
- They include Garments, Made-up and clothing accessories.
- Are produced in cottage industries.
- Should not have zippers.
- Must be ornamented using any one or more of the following Indian folk styles.
- Hand painting, Hand printing, Batik, Tie and Dye, Kalamkari.
- Hand embroidery, Crocheting.
- Appliqué work of sequins, wooden or glass beads, shells, mirror, ornamental motifs of textiles materials.
- Extra wrap of welt ornamentation of silk, art silk or zari threads.
- Should conform to shape and styles of each item as defined in the agreed list of different countries.
- Should satisfy the dimensional aspects.
New Handicraft SEZs shall be established which would procure products from the cottage sector and do the finishing for exports. Duty free import entitlement of trimmings and embellishments shall be 5% of the FOB value of exports during the previous financial year. The entitlement is broad banded, and shall extend also to merchant exporters tied up with supporting manufacturers. The Handicraft Export Promotion Council shall be authorized to import trimmings, embellishments and consumables on behalf of those exporters for whom directly importing may not be viable Specific funds would be earmarked under MAI & MDA Schemes for promoting Handicraft exports.
CVD (Countervailing Duty) is exempted on duty free import of trimmings, embellishments and consumables.
Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts
EPCH Council was set up by the Ministry of Textiles, Government of India for promotion of Exports of handicrafts from India. EPCH is a non-profit and non-trading organisation working under the administrative control of the Development Commissioner (Handicrafts). The basic objective of EPCH is to promote & develop the exports of Country. The main role of EPCH is to project India's image abroad as a reliable supplier of high quality handicrafts & gifts. More than 6000 handicraft's manufacturers & exporters are the members of EPCH.The Council is run and managed by team of professionals headed by Executive Director. The Committee of Administration consist of eminent exporters, professionals. The Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts has a rarest distinction of being considered as MODEL COUNCIL which is self sustaining and where all the promotional activities are self financed. The main activities of EPCH are narrated as follows:
- Providing commercially useful information and assistance to members in developing and increasing exports.
- Offering professional advice and services to members in areas of technology upgradation, quality and design improvement, standards and specifications, product development, innovation etc.
- Organising visits of delegation of its members abroad to explore overseas market opportunities.
- Participating in specialized International Trade Fairs of handicrafts & gifts.
- Organizing Indian Handicrafts and Gifts Fair at New Delhi.
- Interaction between exporting community and Govt. both at the Central and State level and representation in almost all the committees/panels of Central and State and represents in almost all the committees/panels of Central and State.
- To create an environment of awareness through Workshops on "Export Marketing, Procedures and Documentation", Packaging, Design Development, Buyer Seller Meet, Open House etc. interaction with Central and State Govt. and various other similar programmes.
- Dissemination of government notification, orders, information on trade and other relevant information to members.
The importers of handicrafts and gifts can always bank upon EPCH to look after their import needs. The EPCH undertakes to meet your choices, treasures of India’s rich cultural heritage so vividly reflected in its handicrafts.
Categories in Handicraft
Categories in handicrafts as per EPCH are as follows:
List of concerned Export Promotion Councils
1.Carpet Export Promotion Council
- Art metal ware
- Wood ware
- Hand printed textiles and scarves
- Embroidered and crocheted goods
- Shawls as art wares
- Zari and zari goods
- Imitation jewellery
- Miscellaneous handicrafts
110-A/1, Krishna Nagar, (Behind Govt. St. Sec School), Safdarjung Enclave, New Delhi.
Mr. O.P. Garg, Chairman
Areas of Interest:
Handmade/Woollen Carpets, Rugs, Durries, Druggets and Namdhas including handmade Silk carpets.
2. Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts
6, Community Centre, IInd Floor, Basant Lok, Vasant Vihar, New Delhi - 110 057
Mr. Rakesh Kumar, Executive Director
Areas of Interest:
3. Handicrafts & Handloom Export Corporation
Jawahar Vyapar Bhavan, Annex-I, 1, Tolstoy Marg, New Delhi - 110 001
Mr. Vinod Kumar Malhotra, Chairman & MD